Saturday, May 17, 2008

NewsHour Interview with Dick Shelton

The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer interviewed Dick Shelton concerning his book "Crossing the Yard" and his prison workshop.

The producer, Terry Rubin and his crew went into Rincon Unit of ASPC-Tucson with Dick Shelton, and Dick told me it went extremely well. Then they came to the Poetry Center, where they interviewed Dick at length. Terry Rubin had talked to Ken on the phone twice prior. So I thought he would be the man I should approach.

I took the opportunity, went down to the Poetry Center, stood for an hour and a half fifteen feet away from The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer Productions, as Terry Rubin, the producer put his crew through each step of Jeff Brown's interview with Dick Shelton and one man handling the lights and camera and the other man the sound system recording.

Jeff knew an art teacher at the Univ. of Az. who came to watch—who knew him back in San Francisco, so after Jeff and Dick and Terry talked, and Dick signed two books to give to Jim Lehrer, who was not there, I introduced myself to Terry Rubin, gave him a signed FREEDOM OF VISION book for Jim Lehrer—with my letter folded in half inside the front cover, and the backgrounder folder inside the back cover. Jeff and the art teacher walked out together, giving me the opportunity to walk out with Terry.

I verbally dedicated the book to the inspiration that Dick and Ken were to a national audience of FOV, as well as the inspiration for prison writing groups here in Arizona. I then went to my briefcase, got out a second copy of FOV, signed it for Terry Rubin, saying THANK YOU for coming here and for giving the public a chance to see another side of prisoners. I walked him all the way out to his car, and told him about Gordon Grilz, and Ben Gastellum, and others who rehabilitated themselves and shared their growth and their vision via their writing. Terry was very pleasant and was happy to get a book for himself as well, and I talked enough so that he had images and details from me to go along with the two books. He peeked inside to get a sense of both the letter, and the backgrounder. I was glad I took the chance.

No comments: