Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Son of the Academy

“Who is he? Who is he? Truly he is a Son of the Academy.”

At times he shone magnificently like the Andromeda Galaxy or like the Great Orion Nebulae, twinkling both in the skies above us and in the classrooms--in front of us. I was privileged to be taught by him in the ‘Fifties and ‘Sixties, and appreciated him even more in the ‘Seventies and ‘Eighties.

Swedenborg described a man he had once known on earth, who communicated with him from heaven. This friend could manifest himself by pleasant and enjoyable representatives, such as beautiful colors of every kind, and colored forms, and by infants beautifully decorated and clothed. I immediately was reminded of our mystery teacher. When we run out into the back yard to see the infrequent rainbow glimmering in grey clouds still full of moisture, I think of Mr. Academy. Both Swedenborg’s friend and our teacher acted with a soft and gentle influx, and insinuated themselves into the affections of others with the purpose of making our lives pleasant and delightful.

His twinkling eyes remind me of the Orion Nebulae, the Andromeda Galaxy, the rainbow sparkling in the clouds, and the family campfire. He is easily able to illuminate the darkness and bring light and warmth to whole groups of gathered individuals during their natural and spiritual quests in his classrooms to determine their identity, their purpose, their mission, and their belongingness.

I sit at a small table, drink an green iced-tea latte, take bites from a blueberry scone topped with an occasional small pat of butter from Glenview Farms, and I glance out the window and for a moment - I thought I saw a phantom rainbow in the sky. I close my eyes and feel the warm campfire presence of this mystery man and am warmed by the memories. I turn to the very last page in the New Church Life, and see all that’s left of my imaginary campfire. The embers glow, sparkle, and twinkle up at me. Dismayed, I read in black print under Deaths: Mr. Charles Snowden Cole, at Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania, May 18, 2008. 93….

He wasn’t just Mr. Charlie Cole. He was Professor Charlie Cole. He was Dean Charlie Cole. I hear a bell ring in the Children’s Reading Room nearby and think, “Charlie just became an angel.” I think of meteor showers from the Orion Constellation, and console myself that, “The Orionides will remind me of Charlie Cole every October 21st….” I remember the Andromeda Galaxy’s misty patch of light took two million years to reach us, but now, like Charlie Cole’s twinkle, its gleam will be with us forever. Okay, Charlie’s earthly body is gone from us. But everything he stood for, corresponded to, and represented lives. His campfire never dies. It just turns to the man we all called charcoal (CharCole), still warm and light and alive, full of all the love he gave us; full of all the love we gave him back….

No comments: